Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top 10 Things I Dislike and Like When It Comes To Romances In Books

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/p/top-ten-tuesday-other-features.html
This should be interesting since romances aren't exactly the first thing I look for in a book. And considering that I can never join in on book boyfriend conversations and favorite couples; it's clear I don't pay much attention to romances in general.
As much as I'd like to and as much as I do become invested in the few that I do enjoy, I can't put too much focus on romances.


Top things I dislike about romances in books

1) They (almost) always end on a good note.
For the record I did feel like a total Grinch writing that out. Out of 6 of my favorite romantic movies only 2 end happily. I'm not sure at what point in my life I started going in the opposite direction of "happily ever after" but not only does a sad ending bring out more emotion in me I think there's something about an open-ended ending that makes a story more thought filled. What happens after goodbye?

Side note: I do enjoy happily ever after's, I'm not a total Grinch.


2) When they come off like Noah's ark.
I read the last book in a trilogy last year and it ended with every single character paired up. I honestly wasn't loving the trilogy so far, but I was kind of caught up in the relationship between the main characters. Even when it was a triangle. But when it got to the epilog it went on to describe how all the other characters got together.

3) When they run hot and cold.
I get that all relationships have their ups and downs, but the one's in books feel like they're amplified by ten.

4) Constantly being reminded how hot the characters are.
Just because you think you're girl/boyfriend is super hot doesn't mean everyone is going to want them. I once complained about this stating that the main reason it bugged me was because I knew people who were exactly like that. They thought that everyone was staring at the other.
In books I understand that we the readers also have to fall in love with the person being described and I don't mind being reminded of their amazing eyes or great bodies; the problem is when that's all they have.

If I suggest making it a drinking game every time the girl describes the guy as a god, it's probably too much.

5) Poetic sex scenes.
Either describe it or don't. There's no need to beat around the bush saying that when they touched both could hear the bells and the sun started shining a little brighter.

I'll take lines like that anywhere but in a sex scene.


Top things I LIKE about romances in books

6) They often leave me feeling hopeful and inspired.
Something that might come as a surprise after all I've said: I'm easily smitten. When the story is done right.

7) When they have great lines about love.
This kind of ties in with what I said after number 5.

8) When it's mind invading.
As much as I can't stand it while I'm going through it, I love it when a romance invades my mind and it's all I can think about for days.

9) They give me guys I'll never find in real life.
That made sound negative, but it's more of an acceptance. No matter how great a guy is he is not a book character.

10) They calm me.
When I start falling for a romance I feel myself mellow out to a point where I hadn't even realized it had been a while since I fell for a character.

3 comments:

  1. Love this list!!!! I changed mine up a bit check it out :) http://bookbabble.weebly.com/blog/top-ten-tuesday2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list!!!! I changed mine up a bit check it out :) http://bookbabble.weebly.com/blog/top-ten-tuesday2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list for the week!! Here's my link to my TTT for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-things-i.html

    ReplyDelete