Monday, May 18, 2015

From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess - Review

From the Notebooks of a Middle School PrincessFrom the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
May 19th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends

Olivia Grace Clarisse Harrison has always known she was different. Brought up by her aunt's family in New Jersey, book-and-music-loving Olivia feels out of place in their life of high fashion and fancy cars. But she never could have imagined how out of place she really was until Mia Thermopolis, Princess of Genovia, pops into her school and announces that Olivia is her long-lost sister. Olivia is a princess. A dream come true, right? But princesses have problems too.
 
In FROM THE NOTEBOOKS OF A MIDDLE SCHOOL PRINCESS a new middle grade series, readers will see Genovia, this time through the illustrated diaries of a spunky new heroine, 12 year old Olivia Grace, who happens to be the long lost half-sister of Princess Mia Thermopolis.


When I started reading this book earlier this month, May 1st to be exact, I mentioned that it was an appropriate date to start reading since it was not only Princess Mia's birthday, but also 12 years to the day that I first discovered The Princess Diaries.

And then as I started reading it hit me. Olivia is 12.
That messed with my mind a little.
I was just a year older than Olivia when I first "met" Mia, myself. I was probably going on about being a "middle school princess" at the time!
I do remember saying I loved princess books, of course in reality I could only name three; including The Princess Diaries.

But enough about me and Mia, this is all about Olivia Grace Harrison. (Which is totally a name I'd give my kid!)

This girl is... So different from anybody I could mention. (Mia.) Starting the book I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought, "Here we go again with the Me? A Princess? stuff." I can't wait!

And then we get to that point, and she just goes with it. Which made me think, "Wait, Mia not only freaked out, but she ran off to hide with the penguins!"
This girl is not Mia.

As a little sister I should probably be annoyed with myself for even thinking she'd be like her big sister.

This girl is her own person.
I'll stop with the "this girl" now.

That's not to say that she doesn't have the charm and sass that we get with all Meg Cabot characters. It's all there; plus the instant likability and connection that has always attracted readers to all these characters for years.

And speaking of Meg Cabot characters; I loved seeing the royal family from a different point of view. Having to refer to Grandmère as "Grandma" was one of the hardest, strangest things for me. Especially after considering how long it took me to figure out how to even pronounce Grandmère.
And Mia! Mia outside of Mia's head! If possible she's even greater than I originally thought. I can't wait to see more interactions between them in future books.

No comments:

Post a Comment