Monday, May 25, 2015

The Princess Diaries 1-5 Reviews


Since this year's Meg-a-Readers is mainly about The Princess Diaries and how Meg Cabot and the series have changed my life, it only seemed appropriate to revisit my reviews for the first ten books.

Plus I still can't bring myself to write a review for Royal Wedding.

Unfortunately I didn't write down what I originally thought about The Princess Diaries, although with everything I 've shared about the series I can't imagine a review from me at age 13 would make much of a difference. But I do have my original thoughts on Princess in the Spotlight and Princess in Love, as well as my opinions on them 10 years later.

Due to timing my revisit had to be through audiobooks, but how could I resist when they're being read by Princess Mia herself (I don't care how many other "bigger" roles Anne Hathaway gets; to me (and my dad) she's Princess Mia.)?

The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1)The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think this is officially the first book that actually got me interested in reading. I think mostly since it's such a long series I knew exactly what I was going to read next. Unlike before where I would be completely confused as to what to read. I fell in love with this book the first time I read it; since then I don't even know the number of times I've reread it.


May 2013
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1)The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I learned a lot about myself rereading this, a lot of the views and opinions that I thought were my own, really weren't.
Example: My views on virginity, I was 13 I don't think I had views on it yet! I'll never know if there was a Mia influence behind everything I believed on the matter. Not that it would have influenced me had it been any other way. {cough cough Ready or Not}
Algebra, no I did not fail because of Meg, that was my own doing. But if you want to get technical I did spend a lot more time reading her books than studying. 8 years later I've yet to use the FOIL method again but Meg just keeps on giving. And I did actually understand the FOIL method because of this book.
Also I couldn't help but notice a persons nostrils. I still do sometimes!


January 17, 2004
Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)Princess in the Spotlight by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I never noticed how I am obsessed, and totally crazy about Princess books. I love the stories, I finished this in like three days. I couldn't put it down (unless I had to, like for Bewitched.)


I was about to turn 14 when I wrote this, and The Princess Diaries were a huge part of my teen years and like I said I genuinely was obsessed with "princess books" although truthfully couldn't name more than three at the time. Actually I still can't. Oh and I had just rediscovered the 60's show Bewitched (which I was also pretty obsessed with).

May 2013
Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)Princess in the Spotlight by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Only the second book and they were already bringing back so many memories; and they weren't all that fab. But of course I realized that Meg Cabot is the only author that can make me miss being a teen.
I used to really like Helen, I thought she was a pretty cool mom... so many years ago. Now that I'm acquainted with someone way too much like her I can not stand it.
I had forgotten about Kenny, I liked him. Thanks to Kenny I really wanted a secret admirer. This book is also the reason I watched Rocky Horror.


Random observation: While sick Mia spends her day watching Lifetime movies and mentions watching one titled Who is Julia? which is a real movie about a brain transplant.
This was six years before Meg published Airhead, coincidence or an idea for a future book?


February 10, 2004
Princess in Love (The Princess Diaries, #3)Princess in Love by Meg Cabot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My thoughts on the book after I read it the first time:
WARNING I WAS OVERLY OBSESSED WITH THE SERIES SO FAR SO BE WARNED THAT THE FOLLOWING IS PRETTY MUCH THE RAMBLINGS OF A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL

I don't think I am going to be able to concentrate today, because just now in homeroom I finished Princess in Love. I am totally obsessed with it, I can't stop thinking about it. I am in love with that book! I wish something like that would happen to me...

I'll just leave it at that, I go on to gush about how great it is for about four pages, and some things are better left unshared.

May 2013
Princess in Love (The Princess Diaries, #3)Princess in Love by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (notice the rating change)

Sorry to my younger self up there but I couldn't stop laughing at the ending and the memory of my original reaction. Again only Meg can make me miss being a teen.
This book showed me how much I have, and haven't, changed in the last 9 years. 9 years ago: I was such a hopeless romantic. Now: I was kind of heckling Mia.
Really I think I can blame the narration for that (I still love Anne Hathaway 10 years later, but she can NOT do European accents.)
I can't count the number of times I reread these books over the past decade, and loved the ending in this one. But this time around, it felt different because I knew what was coming. Coming both at the end of this book and coming in future books.

I think that was the main difference I know what the future holds for Mia now.


February 2004
Princess in Waiting (The Princess Diaries, #4)Princess in Waiting by Meg Cabot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My thoughts on the book after I read it the first time:
WARNING I WAS OVERLY OBSESSED WITH THE SERIES SO FAR SO BE WARNED THAT THE FOLLOWING IS PRETTY MUCH THE RAMBLINGS OF A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL
February 13, 2004
I have found true love! To bad it's with a fictional character, unless there really is someone like that out there... Yeah I finished the last PD book, as in no more of that for me. (Unless I reread them which I probably will.)
I'm never going to read another book in my life, none can top this or I don't want it to be topped.


And that's only the half of it. It was also before I knew there was going to be ten in the series, I didn't even know there would be a fifth.

May 2013
My rating: 3 of 5 stars [Rating Change]

We're all on the same page here that nothing actually happens in this one right? Just that we're reminded that Michael is perfect?
I'll admit though, rereading this series might have bought out the easily smitten side of me out again.
 
This book is the reason I: read Jane Eyre, did not get the appeal of Mr. Rochester.
Pop culture note: Mia mentions two celebrity couples that are no longer together, and three that are no longer living.


May 2004
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

No comments made after reading it the first time.
Safe to say I was probably really smitten. And I do remember having to hide it in the trunk of the car so I wouldn't read it right away.


May 2013
My rating: 3 of 5 stars [Rating Change]

PROM!
These books were my teen years.

At this point I was getting a little tired of all the teen-ness, which is what I loved about these books, so I skipped a few parts, like Mia's birthday, her party and the Boris incident, don't think I missed much except Mia and Lilly's fight which I didn't remember, I can't say if I ever liked Lilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment