Monday, June 8, 2015

My Thoughts While Reading Royal Wedding

Yes, my actual real thoughts I wrote down in a journal, that I had to pull out because it had been so long since I've bothered writing in one. Everything -well almost everything, my mind tends to move faster than I can actually think about sometimes- that went through my head while I was reading the book. And honestly had it really been "everything" I probably could have gone on and on longer than I really did.

These aren't notes and thoughts I jotted down for my review, I never do that although a few did help me write it, these are just everything I felt personally.

Why am I sharing them?
Multiple reasons:
1. Because I'm nuts. (That should be considered a disclaimer.)

2. Because as I've mentioned before Meg Cabot and The Princess Diaries are the reason I write in the first place. And the fact that she got me doing it again in a journal after so many years is worth sharing.
Although sadly I really haven't written much since.

3. I was recently inspired to start sharing past journal entries (from like middle and high school) to share more about me. I was hoping to start doing that sometime this month, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to.

Before I start I should also note I didn't start doing this until I was so many pages in so my first thoughts didn't make it.

Although I do have my very first thoughts as I sat down to begin reading:



Oh my gods! Oh my gods! I don't know if I can start this now.

I really hope this doesn't bring back too many high school memories. Other than the fact that I would constantly compare not only my life but my writing habits to Mia's.
Yeah I know she's a princess living in New York with awesome friends and I was just me from the suburbs with rift-raftty friends. But still!
And let's not forget all those journal entries that started with "Oh my god!" because I was being a drama queen.
Which honestly was all me, but I think I was adding a little more to it.
But then again I really am a drama queen.

I don't know why it's so hard for me to stay submerged in this world. It's not like I don't know what's coming. Hell I just flipped ahead to see how much longer 'til.
I didn't actually read it but my initial reaction to what I saw was along the lines of "Holy shit!"

I'd forgotten what it was like being smitten with these books.

"The good thing about being in one's late twenties is that you know nothing bad is going to happen if you don't return people's texts and voice mails..."
Preach it Mia! Preach it.
(I was avoiding certain calls at the time.)

"Because it's so good and there's only one chance to read a book for the first time and I want it to last. That experience. I'd finish it in a day otherwise and that'd be like...like eating a carton of ice cream in one sitting. Too much richness over too quickly. This way I can draw it out. Make the book last longer. Savor it. I have to since they don't come out that often." - Richelle Mead

Doctor Who episode Angels Take Manhattan, where he rips the last page of the book out?
I kind of want to do that.
Especially since I know it's going to be such a "Meg Cabot ending."
But duh.
It's why we love her and why there's no real problem I'm spending yet another spring break reading her book.

Why Meg? Why are you so awesome?

It's so weird that I can so easily put it down and decide that I'm done reading.
Not like ten years ago when I would finish so fast I wouldn't have a chance to put it down. In this amount of time I would have read it twice by now.
I know I said I wanted to take my time with it but I didn't imagine it's be weird going back into that world.
Why are the good books always so hard to get through?
It's a prolonged savoring.
Very prolonged.

It's always obvious you've been reading Meg Cabot books for the last 12 years when you see "surprise twists" coming from a mile away.
It's nice being able to pick up on subtle hints.

No comments:

Post a Comment