Monday, June 1, 2015

Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries #11) - Review

Royal Wedding (The Princess Diaries, #11)Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
June 2nd 2015 by William Morrow & Company

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Princess Diaries series, comes the very first adult installment, which follows Princess Mia and her Prince Charming as they plan their fairy tale wedding--but a few poisoned apples could turn this happily-ever-after into a royal nightmare.

For Princess Mia, the past five years since college graduation have been a whirlwind of activity, what with living in New York City, running her new teen community center, being madly in love, and attending royal engagements. And speaking of engagements. Mia's gorgeous longtime boyfriend Michael managed to clear both their schedules just long enough for an exotic (and very private) Caribbean island interlude where he popped the question! Of course Mia didn't need to consult her diary to know that her answer was a royal oui.

But now Mia has a scandal of majestic proportions to contend with: Her grandmother's leaked "fake" wedding plans to the press that could cause even normally calm Michael to become a runaway groom. Worse, a scheming politico is trying to force Mia's father from the throne, all because of a royal secret that could leave Genovia without a monarch. Can Mia prove to everyone--especially herself--that she's not only ready to wed, but ready to rule as well?



A-buh, hacha hama! squeal, gasp, gasp, sigh. Giggle, giggle, squeal. Scream!!!!
I probably should have written that down while I was actually making those sounds. As if I would have been able to spell/describe them any better at the time.
I tried.

My point is: there are no words.
Apparently a lot of sounds though.

It was so hard for me to start reading; I could not bring myself back into a world I thought I had said goodbye to five years ago.
It was about as hard as it is now trying to explain how I felt about going back into a world I thought I said goodbye to five years ago.

When I finished reading Forever Princess I said it was the first time I didn't finish a book in the series within three days. It took me a whole week.
Well this time around, I spent a month with this book. Now to be fair I probably finished it in a week (spring break) but stared it a month before and kept putting it down.
It kind of scared me that I was able to put it down so easily. That I was able to get to a point and think that I had read enough for the day. As opposed to the first ten where even when I got to the end it still wasn't enough.

I didn't want to get to the end of this book. Which is probably why it was so easy for me to stop. I wanted to prolong it, savor it. I knew what was coming, the same thing that comes at the end of all Meg Cabot books.

Perfection.
That feeling that leaves you both fulfilled and a little bit hollow. That feeling that makes you want to cry because it's over but still be happy that it happened.

I love and am so happy with this book, that Mia might as well be a close friend. (And as I've mentioned in previous post for a while she was.) We grew up together, sometimes one of us faster than the other. When I first "met" Mia she was 15 and I was 13, a ninth grader and the seventh grader. The last time I "saw" Mia she was 18 and graduating high school and I was just turning 20 and maybe still not over high school. Now she's just turning 26 and getting married,  moving on to the next stage of her life and me, I'm 25 and still trying to figure out what stage I'm in.

It was nice getting back into a world that is practically a second home to me, and seeing what's become of characters I was obsessed with. I especially loved that I was able to spend my last spring break with characters and the author that I spent so many breaks before. (Plus I Dream of Jeannine and Bewitched which were a part of my favorite things list at the time.)


So to find a word to describe this book and to explain how it feels to be back in it's world: Like I said above Absolute Perfection. If I could jump into this book and live in it I already would be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment