Monday, November 23, 2015

A Healing Spirit - Book Review

A Healing Spirit (Riverview Series #2)A Healing Spirit by Melissa A. Hanson
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
Published August 16th 2015 by mah

A freak ski accident brings nineteen-year old Mia Kinney within minutes of death. Hurt and scared, Mia is calmed by the southern drawl and clear green eyes of her rescuer.

Twenty-one year old Dylan Blackburn is one of the first Ski Patrol members on the scene. As his patient is airlifted to the local trauma center, he can’t shake her from his thoughts.

As Mia fights for her life, Dylan, is haunted by the blond hair beauty, and knows he needs to make sure she’s going to be okay.

With a troubled past Dylan has vowed never to completely open himself up to another girl, but Mia continues to knock down every wall he’s constructed. When his past arrives at his front door and threatens once again someone that he loves, will Dylan be able to save Mia yet again? Or will he be too late this time?

A story of love, friendship, and the determination to turn a horrible experience into something worthwhile.

"A Healing Spirit" is book 2 of the Riverview Series, however each is a standalone story.




Before starting this review I had to go back and look at my review for A Healing Heart, book one in the series.
I do make myself laugh sometimes. And I'm happy to say that my reviews are not as crazy as they once were. I would really put myself out there... by going "out there." I have said that I miss being able to express myself completely like that, but I'm also glad I've manged to tone down the, well, crazy.
Now, I'd love to say in my defense I was 22 and had only been reviewing books for a year at the time, number 17,  but no it's all me.
I'm probably making that review sound worst than it is -honestly it's probably one of my favorites that I've written- so I'll move on to this one and just say June 2012 if you're curious.

Back to my point, I went back to that review to see what I originally thought of the author's work. I really didn't have to because A Healing Heart has stayed with me after all these years. But then again I just has to see my thoughts from 3 years ago.
At the end of that review I said it was the fastest I had ever written a review, and after all these years it probably still holds a spot in the top 3.
Of course now I have to see it I can get a repeat with A Healing Spirit.

I was instantly smitten from the very start. I basically had to take it in doses because I was so overwhelmed.
And that was just the first 20 pages.
Like with the first I couldn't let go and couldn't wait to jump back in.

I fell in love with these two characters falling in love. I got so caught up in the writing and the way everyone's emotions were expressed.
That alone should get it's own rating. That writing style, towards the end I just had a total moment of "Huh."
I know I said this with the first, but it made me think, I don't know how, but it made my mind go so many different places.

It made me think, it made me feel, it made me think about what I was feeling.

I don't read contemporary romances too often so finding one I absolutely love like this makes those rare moments worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment