Saturday, December 26, 2015

#5 of 2015 - Keep Moving by Dick Van Dyke

Keep Moving: And Other Tips and Truths About AgingKeep Moving: And Other Tips and Truths About Aging by Dick Van Dyke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
October 13th 2015 by Weinstein Books

Beloved Hollywood icon Dick Van Dyke will celebrate his 90th birthday in December 2015. He’s an established legend, having starred in Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and The Dick Van Dyke Show. And yet he’s still keeping himself busy, entertaining America on television, movies, the stage, and social media. Everyone wonders, “How does he do it?” For the first time, Van Dyke will share his secrets and tips on old age: Just keep moving.

In a fun and folksy way of addressing readers, Keep Moving will serve as an instruction book on how to embrace old age with a positive attitude. The chapters are filled with exclusive personal anecdotes that explore various themes on aging: how to adapt to the physical and social changes, deal with loss of friends and loved ones, stay current, fall in love again, and “keep moving” every day like there’s no tomorrow.



This might be more of a review about Dick Van Dyke than his book but then again it's a book about him so...
We'll see how it goes.
December 2003. I'm home on my winter break, TV set to TV Land (back when it made sense) not really watching just background noise.  
The Addams Family, Happy Days, The Dick Van Dyke Show... That one looks interesting.

To be fair they all interested me (I still spend my summers watching Happy Days, I don't know why just in the summer it's a weird tradition I started. Much like how I usually only watch The Dick Van Dyke Show when home alone, I like to think it keeps me company.) But of all the shows on that day only one was the start of my deep admiration.


I've been working on this review for almost three months. I originally started it with the intention of having it out on the week the book was published, but that obviously didn't happen.
It wasn't like other book reviews when I tell myself "I'll get to them when I get to them," this was genuine distraction.
One time I managed to distract myself by deciding to watch The Dick Van Dyke Show.

It was more likely avoidance of writing what I feel.
As I said above I have a deep admiration for Dick Van Dyke. (I credit him for being the reason I sit through Mary Poppins.)
I feel like I've gained so much from his performances. He keeps me company when I'm home alone. And makes me laugh and smile as if I hadn't in days.

And when I saw that he was writing another book I knew I would have to read it.
I read his other book My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business and absolutely loved it, especially since it was the audio narrated by him.
I think as I listened to that book I felt like he was merely telling the story of his life (which he was), much like when I was growing up and my grandma would tell me all kinds of stories about her life.
But this one hit me differently. I think it might be because the first book was from an era before I was even an idea; and this one was in the last few decades. It made him more real.

It made me think.
Mainly about life I guess. Probably expected when reading a book with: "Tips and Truths About Aging" in the title.

At 25 I can't think of a better place to get such advice about that topic than someone just turning 90, who proved he's live quite a beautiful life, that would inspire anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment