Friday, December 25, 2015

#6 of 2015 Center of Gravity by Laura McNeill

Center of Gravity_ CoverCenter of Gravity by Laura McNeill
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published July 14th 2015 by Thomas Nelson
The truth could cost her everything.
Her whole life, Ava Carson has been sure of one thing: she doesn’t measure up to her mother’s expectations. So when Mitchell Carson sweeps into her life with his adorable son, the ready-made family seems like a dream come true. In the blink of an eye, she’s married, has a new baby, and life is wonderful.
Or is it?
When her picture-perfect marriage begins unraveling at the seams, Ava convinces herself she can fix it. It’s temporary. It’s the stress. It’s Mitchell’s tragic history of loss.
If only Ava could believe her own excuses.
Mitchell is no longer the charming, thoughtful man she married. He grows more controlling by the day, revealing a violent jealous streak. His behavior is recklessly erratic, and the unanswered questions about his past now hint at something far more sinister than Ava can stomach. Before she can fit the pieces together, Mitchell files for divorce and demands full custody of their boys.
Fueled by fierce love for her children and aided by Graham Thomas, a new attorney in town, Ava takes matters into her own hands, digging deep into the past. But will finding the truth be enough to beat Mitchell at his own game?
Center of Gravity weaves a chilling tale, revealing the unfailing and dangerous truth that things—and people—are not always what they seem.


The One that Finally "Wowed" Me

First off when not only getting ready to write this review but while reading Center of Gravity I had many "first off" thoughts. So many that I think the entire review could have been comprised of them.
"First off" #1: A couple of weeks ago when I listed my favorite books so far of 2015, I mentioned that 6 months and 50 something books into the year I had yet to be "wowed."
Center of Gravity took care of that. Wow.
This book gave me a whole new definition of "suspense novel."
2) When just starting the book I had to remind myself, multiple times, that my wanting to stop reading it, was just a sign that Laura McNeill really is an amazing author.
I do hope her purpose was to make us dislike a character because, if so, well done from the intro.
I loved switching character perspectives; being able to see the situation from everyone's point of view added so much more to the drama and emotion. You never really knew which way things were going to go.
3) I lost count how many times I thought the word "genius."
That is not a word I throw out often. Or ever.
Again; switching from characters, seeing what was driving them and wanting to know what their next move would be.
4) I had a dream about it, which I mentioned here long ago that that could be a guaranteed 5 stars. Of course in this case I had already given it the 5, so that just confirmed it.
If an author can make sure their work stays with me long after I've put the book down and have an effect on my sleep, then that author just wrote my new favorite book.
5) There's an author playlist! I love it when authors do that!
All in all though, I did hesitate when starting this book. It won me over.
When? I'm not completely sure; maybe it secretly had me from the very start and I just didn't realize it until I was so far gone I was practically speed reading to see what would happen next.


5 Months Later

I haven't been able to write a review like that since. Too bad since it's one of my favorites that I've written this year.
I am so glad that Center of Gravity was the one that "wow" me, because I really was in a bit of a slump for a few months there. It's not like most books I've read -which might explain the slump. If I had to have stopped reading after Center of Gravity (that would have really sucked, why stop reading?) I would have been fine with it being my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment