Friday, March 11, 2016

Spelled - Review

SpelledSpelled by Betsy Schow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published June 2nd 2015 by Sourcebooks Fire

Fairy Tale Survival Rule #32: If you find yourself at the mercy of a wicked witch, sing a romantic ballad and wait for your Prince Charming to save the day.

Yeah, no thanks. Dorthea is completely princed out. Sure being the crown princess of Emerald has its perks—like Glenda Original ball gowns and Hans Christian Louboutin heels. But a forced marriage to the brooding prince Kato is so not what Dorthea had in mind for her enchanted future.
Talk about unhappily ever after.

Trying to fix her prince problem by wishing on a (cursed) star royally backfires, leaving the kingdom in chaos and her parents stuck in some place called "Kansas." Now it's up to Dorthea and her pixed off prince to find the mysterious Wizard of Oz and undo the curse...before it releases the wickedest witch of all and spells The End for the world of Story.



I loved the fairytale mash-up. It was so much fun traveling through this new fantasy world finding hints of familiar worlds and beloved stories.
I'm a huge fan of retellings, I can never get enough of them so I just dove right into this adventure.

The three main characters are instantly likable, even if you kind of don't want to like them, they will grow on you. If they don't get you from the start, like they did me, that is.

The retelling/mash-up is done perfectly. Practically seamless. Transitioning from one to the other with a few well known twists.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read, I think I'll have to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty fun. And as complex as the story can get at some parts it never really felt weighed down.
      Hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it.

      Delete
  2. I like retellings too if done well... I've seen Spelled, but have had some reservations about reading it, mainly because if not done well it would sour things for me.

    However, after reading your review... I may just read Spelled after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they definitely have to be done well, I've read at least one retelling that left me thinking: "What did you do to this character!?"

      I felt the same way about Spelled, both before and while reading it, but as I got further into it, it started growing on me.

      Delete