Monday, May 16, 2016

Kaitlin's Tale - Book Review

Kaitlin's TaleKaitlin's Tale by Christine Amsden
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
May 16th 2016

Kaitlin Mayer is on the run from the father of her baby – a vampire who wants her to join him in deadly eternity. Terrified for her young son, she seeks sanctuary with the hunters guild. Yet they have their own plans for her son, and her hopes of safety are soon shattered.

When she runs into Matthew Blair, an old nemesis with an agenda of his own, she dares to hope for a new escape. But Matthew is a telepath, and Kaitlin’s past is full of dark secrets she never intended to reveal.




I have to admit that it kind of bugs me when authors don't let go of a certain universe or idea they created, prequels, prolonged sequels, POV changes, but give me a good spin-off and they can stay in that world for as long as they want.

I love the world these books create; each and every character deserves to have their stories told. They're all so complex and wonderfully done, there are no minor characters here.
These spin-offs are great reminders that everyone has a story and that sometimes (always) they are much more than you could ever imagine.

This time it's Kaitlin's turn. Little background: she had a one night stand with a vampire hunter who then gets turned into a vampire and leaves her pregnant with a child whose powers pretty much almost kill her. Then he comes back and asks her to runaway with him.
Because, why not?
Alright there might be a few details missing there, sadly I had a hard time remembering certain references to previous books*, but that's more or less the gist of what we get for Kaitlin's story.

(*Not that you need to know the previous books to enjoy this one, but it did make it a little more fun.)

And, really, when a book ends with a character considering the option of running away with a vampire how can you not want a follow-up there?

In this we get more of Kaitlin's background and everything that led her to where she is now. I don't want to say everything about her makes sense now, but she might be easier to understand. I think I appreciate her more; I definitely appreciate the telling of her story. It goes so much further and deeper than I would have ever expected, like I mentioned before, it brought Kaitlin into a new light for me.


This story adds so much to the already wonderful universe in these books, I don't think I'll ever get enough of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment