Monday, June 27, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

badge
I don't want to jinx it, but I'm very happy with the way my reading has been going. Of course, that's all based on my reading challenge and the fact I already checked one off and am halfway through two others.

Books read since my last post:

Simply Calligraphy: A Beginner's Guide to Elegant LetteringSimply Calligraphy: A Beginner's Guide to Elegant Lettering by Judy Detrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Want to know something funny about me? I am a lot more likely to misspell something while typing than I am while writing it out by hand.

I love writing things out in notebooks. And I have been keeping a journal since I was, well technically 9, but officially since I was 12 or 13. (Sadly I don't write as much as I'd like to anymore.)

One constant thing about my 13 years of writing: I have never liked my writing. By some miracle it would improve by the time I got to the end of the journal, but it's always been a sore spot for me.

I've always wanted simply to learn to write well, but the idea of calligraphy has always been a dream of mine.

And this book, just as the title suggests, is a great beginner's guide to get started. It's simple, to the point and doesn't overcomplicate something that seems incredible complicated.

It makes calligraphy something I would want to stick with until I got the hang of it and not give up because it seemed too daunting.

I don't think I've ever found another book that was so user friendly.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love StoriesSummer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories by Stephanie Perkins

DNF
Not really in the mood for love stories.

Libba Bray was the reason I read it, loved her story. I'm still under the belief that she can do no wrong.

As for the others: they were short, sweet and kind of blah.
There isn't enough character development for me to actually care about what they're going through. And the overall thing they're all going through is falling in love. Cue my inner Grinch, I don't care about that.
That probably sounds bad since the word "love stories" is IN the title so I knew what I was getting in to. But... I just wasn't feeling it with these.
I want a love story that'll make me go "aww" or even better: "I want one of him!"


And I DarkenAnd I Darken by Kiersten White

Review will be posted here later today!








Books reading this week:
Sister Dear Stonewall: Breaking Out in the Fight for Gay Rights Still Star-Crossed

2 comments:

  1. I read Sister Dear and it was a good book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking it so far, this year I've been pacing myself when it comes to certain books if not I probably would have devoured it by now.

      Delete