Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Quotes I Loved From Books I Read In The Past Year

It's a freebie top ten, so I decided to do what I did last time quotes were a topic and make up for past quotable quotes.
Since the last time I posted, I owe you about seven although I think this year I've only posted three.


“Don't settle to be something someone else wants you to be.”
Jessica Bucher, The Hereafter


“I have searched far and wide... he whispered, and have finally found the one my heart desires.”
Jody Hedlund, A Daring Sacrifice


“You should never hold yourself accountable for results you don’t control, but always for the strength of trying.”
Michael Bennett, F*ck Feelings: One Shrink's Practical Advice for Managing All Life's Impossible Problems


“Stop asking why you’ve got weaknesses and start preventing them from turning you into a jerk.”
Michael Bennett, F*ck Feelings: One Shrink's Practical Advice for Managing All Life's Impossible Problems


“It was a machine that required constant feeding- Henry hated the machine, and he hated himself for wanting the sort of admiration it promised, as if he had no worth unless someone was there to applaud it”
Libba Bray, Lair of Dreams


“The story of America is one that is still being written. Many of the ideological battles we like to think we've tucked neatly into a folder called "the past" -issues of race, class, gender, sexual identity, civil rights, justice, and just what makes us "American" -are very much alive today. For what we do not study and reflect upon, we are in danger of dismissing or forgetting. What we forget, we are often doomed to repeat. Our ghost, it seems, are always with us, whispering that attention must be paid.”
Libba Bray


“We're more than our mistakes. We're more than what people expect of us.”
Marieke Nijkamp, This Is Where It Ends


“If you're always negative and angry, looking for the bad, then the only person you're really hurting is yourself.”
Melissa A. Hanson, A Healing Spirit


“I've been screaming for years and no one has ever heard me.”
Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me


“This is what I came up with: My mother is not only presenting me an opportunity to love unconditionally, she’s also allowing me to practice being comfortable with what is uncomfortable. To grieve and also embrace what is broken. To know that some days I can receive who my mother is now and some days I struggle with it. To allow that two opposing thoughts may exist in my head at the same time.”
Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Where the Light Gets In: Losing My Mother Only to Find Her Again

2 comments:

  1. I really like the This Is Where It Ends quote! Great list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/top-ten-tuesday-63/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That quote is probably my favorite of all of these.

      Delete