Friday, August 12, 2016

Rae of Hope by W.J May - Book Review*

Rae of HopeRae of Hope by W. J. May
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published November 14th 2011 by Mitchell Morris Publishing, Inc.

How hard do you have to shake a family tree to find out the truth about the past? Fifteen-year-old Rae Kerrigan never questioned her family’s history. That is until she accepted a scholarship to Guilder Boarding School in England. Guilder is an exclusive, gifted school. Rae has no idea what she is getting herself into or that her family’s past is going to come back and taunt her. She learns she is part of an unparalleled group of individuals who become inked with a unique tattoo (tatu) on their sixteenth birthday. The tatu enables them to have
supernatural powers particular to the shape of their ink-art. Both of her parents where inked, though Rae never knew, as they passed away when she was young. Learning about her family's past, her evil father and sacrificial mother, Rae needs to decide if there is a ray of hope in her own life.


Sometimes when I sit down to write a review I wish I could just write: "I really liked it," and call it a day. But of course I can't, not just because a book was given to me to be properly reviewed (I don't even do it with books I choose to read), but because well I just can't let myself leave it that simple. Plus I love spending an hour just staring at the screen trying to find the words to best describe my thoughts.
I'd consider video reviews but it would probably mainly consist of a lot of eye-rolls from me still trying to find the words and just random giggles.

Right, so Rae of Hope; I don't normally write synopses but I'm gonna try this one time: Rae's parents died tragically when she was a kid, of course she miraculously survived and is now living with her aunt and uncle, that is until she gets accepted in to a very exclusive boarding school. Where: yes she finds out that not only does she have special powers but her parents had dark secrets too !

There are list dedicated to this type of book, why it hasn't been made a separate genre I don't know.

That being said; even with it's been there done that-ness, I found myself so caught up in the story, I actually tried to keep reading it later into the night. Which is something that I should not do due to the fact that if a book is really good it will most likely invade my dreams.
You want to know how I really feel about a book just ask about my dreams.
Did I dream about Rae? I honestly don't remember, but I do know I woke up with a strange feeling, thinking about tattoos and magic powers.
So, yes, definitely.

You know that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz movie Too Many Girls? Yeah this is kind of down the road of that but better because they're guys! It's wrong that I enjoyed all the guys fawning over Rae isn't it? Well I'm almost never wrong, so how wrong can it be? The traditional love triangle found in most YA novels is turned in to more of a love pentagon; It. Was. Awesome.

That goes for the entire story not, you know, just the guys.
(It's comments like that that make people think I sound desperate.)

The characters are all so great, I loved their personalities they were so well written.

I had moments when I was so caught up in this book that I actually wanted to start yelling at Rae and tell her what to do, normally that only happens when I'm watching British TV shows... what is it about the British that makes me want to yell advice at them?

All in all it left me wanting more. A must read for any paranormal/fantasy fan!




Review originally posted here January 27, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment