Friday, September 30, 2016

To Do #11: Read Banned Books

I started posting my "to do" list aka a bucket list, around the summer I started blogging. And I've only made it to number 11. That's how well that's going.
I had a list all written out, or typed out. (I think I wrote it in a journal, but I'd have to look for it.) Problem with typing, sometimes computers break. I lost that list and never really bothered rewriting it. Until I found the book 2,001 Things to Do Before You Die; I added 102 that I want to do and found that I already had 26 that I've done. (Including "Count up everything in these pages that you've done.")

So until I decide to go back to writing things I want I'm basing a lot of these post on things from that book.

One of the things suggested: Read Banned books.



My overall thoughts on banned books:

I was introduced to Banned Books Week five or six years ago and saying that, after all these years I'm still not that familiar with banned books. I know the big ones but I've never really gone too deep with them.
So I've been hopping down the banned book trail and have found some pretty interesting books, turns out I really haven't read that many banned books.
Less than 10 maybe? That's based on what I've found, every year I found another I didn't realize was banned.
I did notice that a lot are on my to-read shelf, and I'll admit seeing them on that list is tempting me to read them sooner. So yeah that list is definitely doing it's job... that is if it's job is to get more people interested in those books.

Banning books: I'm against it. I would ask who isn't? But clearly there are people out there who aren't, if you're one of them I'm sorry to say I've probably made fun of you. I am sorry but really it's upsetting that something gets taken away from the public because one person (or group) was offended by it.
I'm pretty sure the author didn't do it on purpose, although who knows. Maybe they did sit down at their desk and think to themselves "How can I offend this individual."
Even more so for the authors of banned classics I bet that's the only reason Mark Twain wrote Huckleberry Finn he probably said to himself: "In a hundred years they'll be reading this in schools so I'll be sure to make it real controversial!"

Yeah no. It's not about you. I always want to say that to people when they get offended by things that can't really be helped.
That's the world past and present; we can't hide from it. Actually we can, which is most likely the reason I haven't read that many banned books, I read to escape and I can't exactly do that while reading books about real life problems.

And that there is the solution: just don't read them.  No one is forcing anyone to; not even the schools, ask around, some students don't read the required books because they just don't want to. And I'll confess there were a couple of books I didn't completely read and I still manged to get by.
Not because I was against them I was just lazy sometimes.


List of Favorite Banned Books:
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee




Sadly 2,001 Things to Do Before You Die also suggested a banned book I could read, I tried it this summer, didn't really like it. Same goes for my Banned Books Week pick, it did not get my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment