Monday, November 14, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I have been reading a lot more lately. And I have to say I've loved it. It just felt right; especially after everything that went through my mind during my slump a couple of months ago.

There is one difference though, I've been turning to non-fiction, which for me is usually a one in ten books type of thing. All last week I kept telling myself I need to read some fantasy, even pointing out some books on my shelf; but in the end I kept grabbing the non-fiction ones.



Books read since my last post:

Think Happy: Instant Peptalks to Boost PositivityThink Happy: Instant Peptalks to Boost Positivity by Karen Salmansohn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Forget your troubles, come on get happy!

It took me maybe a day to connect the mood shift I had after reading this book. I was in a really bad mood, and was pretty much on the brink of either shutting down or lashing out. Or both.
It's always bad when I know I'm doing it too.

Then I started reading through this book and a lot of it hit me in just the right way. Like I said above; I didn't even realize it was happening. Suddenly my mood improved, all negative thoughts were gone, and I was feeling pretty inspired. I'm not sure when I realized my bad mood was gone but all thoughts went to this book.
It did take some convincing, but not for long. It really was too great a coincidence.

There's so much goodness within these pages, that I don't think I'll ever get enough of it.


From Shakespeare with Love: The Best of the SonnetsFrom Shakespeare with Love: The Best of the Sonnets by William Shakespeare
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Some people are just meant to recite these.


In the Beginning: Dark Retellings of Biblical TalesIn the Beginning: Dark Retellings of Biblical Tales by Georgia McBride
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My reason for deciding to read this: I had just finished reading another book which had the narrator making bible references that left me confused and thinking "Someone should do a retelling of some of these stories."
Well, apparently someone heard me because I was informed about this tour the very next day. (Or maybe later that day, I can't say.)

My rating of 3.5 - 4 of 5 stars: Like with all anthologies some stories are great, some not so great and others leave you wanting more. I struggled in the beginning and actually wondered if I would be able to continue but something inside me kept saying it'll be worth it in the end.
And it definitely was. It just kept getting better.
A couple really did leave me wanting more. Thinking: What happens next?! or What! I was just really getting into it!

Of the eight stories five are 4 stars and three land around the 3.5 mark good but just missing that extra something.


Haunted Hollywood: Tinseltown Terrors, Filmdom Phantoms, and Movieland MayhemHaunted Hollywood: Tinseltown Terrors, Filmdom Phantoms, and Movieland Mayhem by Tom Ogden
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






life.love.beautylife.love.beauty by Keegan Allen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I went to this signing last year hearing him talk about photography really reminded me why I loved it myself and inspired me to start focusing on that again. The pictures and stories in this book brought that all back and more.


Tales of the AlhambraTales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While in Spain I decided to read where our next stop would be: the Alhambra I became a little confused when I saw the name Washington Irving, "Why is the Sleepy Hollow guy known in Spain?"
As much as I enjoyed the Alhambra this was kind of hard to keep up with.

The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone MysteryThe Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery by Justin Richards
My rating: 4 of 5 stars






Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess DiDoomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di by Kris Waldherr
My rating: 5 of 5 stars






The 50 Greatest Love Letters of All TimeThe 50 Greatest Love Letters of All Time by David H. Lowenherz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I had to actually care about the person writing or receiving the letter because if I didn't my mind would just blank on what I was reading. The people I did know I loved.




Reading this week:
I'm not entirely sure, lately I've just been grabbing at what catches my attention on my shelf.
I am still trying to get back into a fantasy world and hoping to finish The Chronicles of Narnia before the end of the year. 4 more to go!

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to read what appeals to you at the time which, in your case, was non-fiction! I can go through phases like that, too, where a certain genre tickles my fancy. I need to finish The Chronicles of Narnia as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right I kept telling myself to get away from reality but it's apparently what I needed.
      Fingers crossed I finish Narnia by January; it was suppose to be this year's series but I'm running out of time.

      Delete
  2. I am definitely a mood reader. I'm intrigued with Think Happy, will check that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think Happy is a pretty fun and quick read. it's separated in section for whatever you need to hear.
      I usually am a mood reader but it passes within a book or two.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to have a change. I used to just read romance and some fiction. Now my expectations for romance and historical romance have shot up. Fantasy is what I fall back on all the time. To me in that world, anything is possible and it's interesting how authors handle the supernatural and magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is great seeing them create those new worlds. I kept telling myself to read fantasy so I could go into those worlds but normally I'm all over the place with the genres I read.

      Delete