Thursday, December 29, 2016

#2 of 2016 - The Mother Road by Meghan Quinn

27467426The Mother Road by Meghan Quinn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published January 12th 2016

Never in a million years would I have pictured myself as an axe-wielding, dragon lady, chopping up multi-colored flannel shirts into my very own plaid mulch. But here I am, chopping away my frustrations.

It all started when my brother, Paul, convinced me to go on one last family road trip across the Mother Road with him and my dad.. Just like old times, right? Wrong. What Paul fails to mention is his best man, Porter, will be joining us, who just so happens to be my childhood crush and the man who broke my heart four years ago.

What is supposed to be a fun, family bonding experience across Route 66 turns into a war of pranks, awkward moments and bathrooms full of dirty flannel shirts and day old beard clippings. Paul’s know-it-all attitude and Porter’s devilish charm brings me to the brink of my sanity on my seven day trek across the United States with three bearded men in a small 1980’s RV.



The One That Means So Much


This is a review I wish I had written immediately after finishing, but I couldn't bring myself to do so.

Instead I wrote some thoughts about where my own life is and where I'd like it to be. Yeah, it got me thinking.

About my own life no less.

That's kind of funny considering that there were more than a few moments that also had me thinking "What am I reading?"

(Much like when I went to see Pride &Prejudice & Zombies last month; main thought throughout: "What am I watching?)

In a fun way, of course.

Let's just say it goes there. And then goes 10 miles further.


This might be the first time I've found a guy named Paul that I could not stand.
Normally it's "This is Paul." Me: "I love you!" (Semi-awkward when it's a real person.)
I know he wasn't the one I was suppose to fall for but still, up until now I had a pretty great track record when it came to Pauls.


I did fall though. Hard. I'm going to give partial credit to the fact that it takes place on a road trip on Route 66. I absolutely love road trips and it's totally on my bucket list to drive Route 66.

The rest of the credit clearly goes to the romance itself. I was so caught up in it; it's like I didn't want the trip to end.

I couldn't not root for a happy ending.
{Spoiler} We get it.
And it's perfect.


10 Months Later:

Meghan Quinn shared a couple of short stories with these characters for the holidays and in those few paragraphs it all came rushing back. How much I absolutely love these characters, their story and how much it hit me when I read this book at the beginning of the year.

I just have so much love towards this book and it's characters that I can't even say.
Like I said in my review I fell hard. So hard I think a bit of me still hasn't gotten up. (And those short stories probably didn't help.)
A part of me hopes she's done with them, another part wants so much more. (That second part is the part of me that for some reason enjoys falling and be left feeling like I was hit by an RV.)

No comments:

Post a Comment