Monday, January 30, 2017

A Winter's Respite Readathon Wrap Up

Pages read: 525
Books finished: 3

Books I gave up on: 1

It hit me last night that I should not be spending my time on books (or even people) just because I feel a sense of obligation. The book was good but it just wasn't getting to a point. It started with a murder and then flashes back a few years; you'd think I'd care to see what happened but nah. I skipped ahead and was intrigued but, again, did not care enough.

That epiphany was about the only good that came yesterday. It was my birthday and sadly not one to remember. So, of course, now I'm really sad about spending the entire day really sad.
Best I can do now is just move on.

And that includes moving on from books (and anything else) I don't want to waste my time on. Wouldn't it be nice if you could treat people the way you do books you don't want to read anymore?
"I'm sure someone out there will like you. Me? Not so much, best of luck."
(It might seem like I'm upset with someone with all that, but no not really. Not at the moment anyway.)



I will say the books I did finish were all 5 stars:

Hollywood at Play: Celebrating Celebrity and Simpler Times Wanted The Life-Changing Magic of The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do

Actually two 5's and a 4.

I can't really remember these last two weeks so I'll say they were well read. And I did discover that I should consider a better system to keep track of how much I read.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I would DNF books I'm not enjoying and move on. I dislike wasting my time on things that aren't enjoyable, so why waste the time on them. On the other hand, if I paid full price for a book and am not enjoying the book, I sort of feel guilty by not finishing them and that I should finish reading it. The conundrum of the situation.

    It looks like the books you finished reading were really good ones though! So that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand not wanting to give up on books you paid for definitely; with those I'll usually skip ahead a bit. I've sometimes spent months on a book because I didn't want to give up on it. Most of the books I give up on are either library or review books (sorry to the author or publisher who gave it to me, but no good review would have come from my finishing it.)

      Delete
  2. I decided a long time ago to not keep reading books I'm hating. And I agree...the same can go with people too. I agree. I'm having an issue with a very close family member right now because of our strong differences of opinion. I just decided I have to stand up for what I believe, whether this person likes it or not. Realizing his opinions has really made me question the person he is and this is a hard realization for a person this close in your life. Ugh. Didn't mean to ramble.

    I'm sorry you had a bad birthday. Happy belated, by the way. You read three books and that's a lot more than I did, for sure. Great job! I hope you will join us again this Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And please ramble on, with the amount I do on here it's definitely a safe place to do so.

      Delete