Monday, February 27, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Lately I've been in a state of wanting to read but also wondering what else I could be doing. It's in no way a slump, it's more along the lines of, I don't know, not being captivated enough by my books?
Although that's hardly an excuse, in the past I've had no trouble putting down books that I would gladly devour in one sitting.
So maybe I'm just distracted. As I probably should since I'm in a too comfortable state of procrastination.


Books read since my last post:


Hello Me, It's YouHello Me, It's You by Hannah Todd

Review Soon




Teen Hyde (High School Horror Story, #2)Teen Hyde by Chandler Baker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's a story driven by revenge, in the list of my favorite plot themes that's like second. I loved it from the very beginning; falling deeper into Cassidy's mentality and feeling her loss of control.

It's a horror story but I think what makes it so great, is that the truly horrific part is all too real in this world.
Maybe 'great' is a weird choice of words to describe it, when I put it that way but what I mean is the scary part and ideas that would keep me up at night already existed, and isn't something that is 'just your imagination.'

It's real and Baker does not shy away from it. Putting it in the horror category is simply one way to tell the story. This very well could have been straight fiction.

I've no doubt that some might say that the context of this book was merely another 'plot point' just used to sell a story but I doubt that too.
It's something that needs to be acknowledged and not swept under the rug. Baker makes that obvious.

Somethings just hit where they were suppose to and you never can tell if there is a real villain. At no pint in this did I find myself feeling sorry for the victims. Or should I say "the boys that go missing...that Cassidy never wanted to think of again." (They're victims of something- feelings of self entitlement- but nothing to feel bad about.)

I really admire how she managed to make a very important point in an equally entertaining story. It's an amazing story that you never know where it will go or how it will end, or even what will happen at the end of the chapter. I was so absolutely caught up in it, I couldn't get enough.


I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.



Reading this week:
There I Go Again: How I Came to Be Mr. Feeny, John Adams, Dr. Craig, KITT, and Many Others Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment