Monday, February 6, 2017

Wanted by Betsy Schow - Book Review

29201137Wanted by Betsy Schow
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
February 7th 2017 by Sourcebooks Fire

In the sequel to Spelled, can Robin Hood's daughter, Rexi, stop the Wicked Witch from finding Excalibur?

Fairy-Tale Survival Rule No. 52:
No matter how difficult the obstacles or all-powerful the evil villain, one can rest assured that the hero of the story never dies. The sidekicks though...they should be worried.

Rexi Hood is proud to be an outlaw. After all, she's the daughter of the infamous Robin Hood. But sidekick? Accomplice? Sorry, that wasn't in her story description. Yeah, she and Princess Dorthea of Emerald have been inseparable since they teamed up to fight the wickedest witch. But if Rexi doesn't figure out how to break the curse that binds them, forget being overshadowed by the spirited princess, Rexi's going to become a Forgotten, wiped from the pages of Story and reduced to a puddle of ink.
Not happening. No way in Spell.
Rexi's plan? Steal the sword Excalibur and use its magic to write her own tale. But Gwenevere has opened a new Academy of Villains in Camelot and danger lurks behind every plot twist. And you know how it goes in Story: keep your friends close and your enemies closer...



I read Spelled when it came out two years ago, so I really didn't remember much from it.
Minor details.
Those are the ones I did remember. Major plot points, like the overall story, not so much. How I miss the days I could reread a book before proceeding with the continuations.
My not remembering the book is no comment on the book itself, I read it in the summer and astute blog readers might be aware that those are never great for me. I read to escape and pretty much leave it all behind.

Two things I do recall from Spelled; and not just because I looked back on my review for it, I loved the mix of stories and Rexi was my favorite.

Just my luck because in this one we get twice the amount of both; so many new stories mixed in and this time it's Rexi telling the story.

It's not just a fairy tale mash in this one but well known legends and a bit of pop culture too, which was so much fun. And I think that's the overall point of this book: fun. Betsy Schow must have had so much fun coming up with some of these ideas because I had a blast reading it.

It's so imaginative and yet so familiar because you will know the characters and little things referenced. It's like looking for easter eggs in movies, but you really don't have to pay too close attention because you won't miss any.

As I already mentioned Rexi was always my favorite so I absolutely loved getting to spend time with just her. Not that we don't see all the characters from Spelled, they do show up and have some pretty interesting plot twists themselves. But, for me, Rexi has always been the best because in the first book she wasn't the hero, it was naturally expected that she would fall into the role of "faithful sidekick;" and she herself made it obvious that she is no sidekick. Which is what makes the story being all about her so great, we get more from her, her background, and who she really wants to be.

This is a fun adventure, a great escape and a pretty interesting story all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment