Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Why I Let Comparison Take Control

You always hear or see reports going on about how social media is ruining your own life, and how it can usually cause unhappiness because, maybe even without noticing, you'll start comparing your own life to the "fabulous" life that person you haven't even seen in years claims to be living. -from my last Thought Post.

In my last post I admitted to being guilty to doing this, and how I was trying to control that subconscious annoyance.
This is where I admit why I let it happen: Because I really don't have much going on.

Now there are the occasional exceptions; back in August when one friend from high school was posting about her second daughter's first day of school I was busy sharing my trip to Paris.
I'm constantly reminding myself to list the good in my life and that definitely was a good. No kids and I get to see the world.
(That wasn't meant to sound mean. I don't build myself up by comparing what I have to what others don't. Well, except in relationships I look at some couples and give thanks I'm not in a relationship like theirs.)

Moments like that, for me and for everyone, are rare and far between. The difference between me and everyone else is that I only share those moments, while everyone else posts every single moment that's a plus.

Date night selfies, trips to the mall, your dinner. Document and share everything.
I listed all those annoyances in my last post (though I could probably go on) and I established that at no point have I ever been jealous.
The word we're looking for here is envy.

I really don't have too much going on in my life, again I do look for the good things but that's not what I mean. What I mean is, I'm not doing much. I'm basically trapped in a tower here. (And there are bars on my window.) Only difference is that I'm the one holding the key keeping me here.
I know, trust me I tell myself this often.

I remind myself of all the good often, I remind myself that I can change my life at any moment I choose, I remind myself that life can change an instant without me wanting it to.
I also remind myself that no one's life is sunshine and rainbows (sometimes people overshare that fact too) and we really only see what they want to show. I know I usually do.



Remember everyone's path is different. Amid constant broadcast & comparison, it's the most loving thing you can do for yourself. #LOveTip” —Lauren Oliver 

No comments:

Post a Comment