Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Best Books I've Read In 2017 So Far

It's that time of year again, when I announce that I've yet to be wowed by a book. Then usually a week or so later I find that one book.
That probably won't be happing this time around, mainly because I'm in a bit of a slump and haven't cared to read much
Three weeks into my own reading challenge and I'm already wondering how long 'til I back down from it- I'm trying really hard not to let challenges stop me mainly in life but what am I if I let a little ten book summer challenge bring me down?

It's also a bit of a lie when I say I've yet to be wowed this year, I totally was, back in January and February. So it's been a while.
But it has happened. And fingers crossed that I make it through this current slump and it happens again.


Best Books I've Read So Far:


Nemesis (Project Nemesis, #1)Nemesis by Brendan Reichs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"I don't know what this is!" My main thought once I got to the halfway point. I probably shouldn't share my thoughts on the first half because they did get a bit colorful.
I still can't say what this book is, other than something else entirely.

I became so caught up with it I had to continually give myself reality checks. "Real! Not real! These events are not actually happening!"  That was definitely a first. And I will say I kind of loved it.

"Kind of loved" my feeling of losing touch with reality. As for the book, that I absolutely loved.

Like I already said, it's something else entirely, there is no Point A to B here; it's more like Point G to Point T to Point K and everywhere in between.
And there is no attempting to figure it out; if you think you do figure it out you're probably lying to yourself.

It's a non-stop mystery where everything and possibly everyone is the mystery.

Calling it amazing would barely be the tip of that iceberg, this is beyond so many things that I'd probably have to go look for a thesaurus to fully justify it.

ORIGINAL REVIEW POST



Teen Hyde (High School Horror Story, #2)Teen Hyde by Chandler Baker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's a story driven by revenge, in the list of my favorite plot themes that's like second. I loved it from the very beginning; falling deeper into Cassidy's mentality and feeling her loss of control.

It's a horror story but I think what makes it so great, is that the truly horrific part is all too real in this world.
Maybe 'great' is a weird choice of words to describe it, when I put it that way but what I mean is the scary part and ideas that would keep me up at night already existed, and isn't something that is 'just your imagination.'

It's real and Baker does not shy away from it. Putting it in the horror category is simply one way to tell the story. This very well could have been straight fiction.

I've no doubt that some might say that the context of this book was merely another 'plot point' just used to sell a story but I doubt that too.
It's something that needs to be acknowledged and not swept under the rug. Baker makes that obvious.

Somethings just hit where they were suppose to and you never can tell if there is a real villain. At no pint in this did I find myself feeling sorry for the victims. Or should I say "the boys that go missing...that Cassidy never wanted to think of again." (They're victims of something- feelings of self entitlement- but nothing to feel bad about.)

I really admire how she managed to make a very important point in an equally entertaining story. It's an amazing story that you never know where it will go or how it will end, or even what will happen at the end of the chapter. I was so absolutely caught up in it, I couldn't get enough.



WantedWanted by Betsy Schow
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Two things I do remember from Spelled; and not just because I looked back on my review for it, I loved the mix of stories and Rexi was my favorite.

Just my luck because in this one we get twice the amount of both; so many new stories mixed in and this time it's Rexi telling the story.

It's not just a fairy tale mash in this one but well known legends and a bit of pop culture too, which was so much fun. And I think that's the overall point of this book: fun. Betsy Schow must have had so much fun coming up with some of these ideas because I had a blast reading it.

It's so imaginative and yet so familiar because you will know the characters and little things referenced. It's like looking for easter eggs in movies, but you really don't have to pay too close attention because you won't miss any.

As I already mentioned Rexi was always my favorite so I absolutely loved getting to spend time with just her. Not that we don't see all the characters from Spelled, they do show up and have some pretty interesting plot twists themselves. But, for me, Rexi has always been the best because in the first book she wasn't the hero, it was naturally expected that she would fall into the role of "faithful sidekick;" and she herself made it obvious that she is no sidekick. Which is what makes the story being all about her so great, we get more from her, her background, and who she really wants to be.

This is a fun adventure, great escape and a pretty interesting story all around.

ORIGINAL REVIEW POST



Every Last WordEvery Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's such a complex topic but the book itself feels so simple. (That's a good thing). It's understandable and even relatable. It's not just a deep rabbit hole of Sam's thoughts and emotions that'll just make you think "Oh poor thing." I actually never thought that and I don't think I was suppose to; I was suppose to understand her and I did.

Whatever it is we don't, and never will, know a person's whole story, the best we can do is be there and try.



Vampires of Manhattan (The New Blue Bloods Coven, #1)Vampires of Manhattan by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The only thing I hate is that I waited so long to read it.
First, of course, I had to finish the original series (not that it was entirely necessary but it did help and I was already halfway through) that I enjoyed but did not love as much as I did this book.

I loved seeing characters I've been familiar with for so long in a new setting. Seeing them all grown up in their new lives ten years later. Had I been following them since the first book, Blue Bloods, came out I'd have been 16 and would have partially grown up along with them, (I didn't. I started the series when I was 21.) and I feel like this book is a love letter to those readers who stood by these characters for that long.

The story isn't as complex as in the previous series (where they're trying to stop Lucifer, so complex would be expected there) this is a home grown mystery. Which I'm sure would have led to more amazing complexity and another great adventure had this series been continued. There's something else to hate. 



Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga, #2)Now I Rise by Kiersten White
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Why must I always be a man's servant?...If anything, I should be partners with the devil, not his servant." 

And with that one sentence I was reminded why I love Lada so much.
She is a beyond amazing character, her drive, her fighter attitude and just the will to keep going until she gets what she wants and thinks she deserves. She is not a stand on the sidelines and wait for it to happen type she's making it happen.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, no doubt even in my review for the previous book And I Darken, but I kind of have a soft spot for badass ruthless characters that know what they want and do whatever it takes to get it.

There are other characters in this book, they're there doing what they're doing. Mainly making me wonder how long until I get to go back to the Lada chapters.
Really, I did enjoy Radu's journey also, his conflict between what he feels is right and what he believes. He's probably the only character that has grown with his experiences.

I love this twist on history; it's books like this that leave we wanting to know more about the facts it's based on. For me they're gateways because when I discover an unknown topic I don't stop until I've gotten everything I can from it.




The Devil's PrayerThe Devil's Prayer by Luke Gracias
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was caught up in the story the moment I read the description, there was no warm up time needed. Which is good because it doesn't entirely give you time to warm up; from page one it pulls you in and does not let you go.

The way the story is told is just amazing, you never know what's going to happen until you turn the page. The entire story is pretty awesome, totally intense and full of so many unexpected turns you won't be able to read it fast enough.

This is one of those books that makes me wish I could say more and go on and on but there are so few words to describe everything it truly is. It's one of those simply complex stories; done just right. I loved the theme, the plot, the entire point and the entire story. I definitely want more. Luke Gracias can easily become a favorite author.

ORIGINAL REVIEW POST



The Handy MenThe Handy Men by Jamie K. Schmidt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Jamie K. Schmidt has got a new fan!
There are so many reasons I enjoyed this as much as I did.

Reason #1:  It's pretty short and a quick read. I finished it in four days but probably could have done it in two. I love that there's a full complex story but it's not overdone.

Reason #2: It gets to the point! None of this "Will they or won't they." We already know they will; so why dance around too long?

Reason #3: Did I mention it gets to the point? There's no long work around of reasons of why they shouldn't.

Actually there are quite a few reasons of why they shouldn't, and they make for some pretty interesting "oh crap!" plot twists which is also what makes it pretty fun. But they don't really let those things get in the way; because, again, in the end we know they'll work out.

Reason #4: I can't stand romances with prolonged problems that can easily be resolved if the characters would just talk to each other or with broken 'unlovable' characters. This has neither.
These characters know what they want and get it.

Reason #5: I'd like to think that my enjoying it so much is reason enough.

It's hot, it's fun, it left me wanting more and I will most definitely be reading more by the author.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you've read some spectacular books so far this year!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:

    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/06/top-ten-tuesday-best-books-ive-read-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been pretty interesting so far. 😊

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard too much about most of these books (because I'm mostly interested in YA). I still need to read Every Last Word! <3

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All but three are YA, there just mainly fantasy YA. Definitely would recommend Every Last Word, I read it back in April before going to a signing,

      Delete