Monday, June 19, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I'm having trouble remembering if summer is a usual reading slump for me. A part of me feels like it might be.
Then another part thinks it's mainly my own fault because I've been starting more books than I've finished. I've also been in a bit of a state of "let's just sit here and do nothing."
Books I've read:

Murder on the Orient ExpressMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Maybe 3.5.
I know when finishing a book it's more likely to say if you'll be reading more by the author, but I want to say it about Dan Stevens. (This is my fourth Agatha Christie book I decided long ago that I'd be coming back.) It's rare to find a narrator that fits one character let alone all of them! This is only the second time I can think of when a narrator left me amazed by the various transitions. French, English, American how is that all one person?!

As for the story: it felt too procedural. A large portion of it is interrogating everyone; there's no interaction between characters outside of that so it doesn't exactly let you try and guess who the murderer might be. And when it does it's too obvious so you shouldn't suspect them. (Which of course then makes you suspicious because they're so obvious.)
It's a good mystery though, not as great as I'd hope but interesting ending.

Viva FridaViva Frida by Yuyi Morales
My rating: 3 of 5 stars




Dangerous Rock (Dangerous Noise, #3)Dangerous Rock by Crystal Kaswell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

REVIEW SOON

(I gave up on it back in March, but decided to finish it. I really only so many pages left, and I might have skipped a lot.)


Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find ThemFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well it's not something I'd call captivating, but the audio was fun.


 Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh BrothersVincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers by Deborah Heiligman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So much about this man makes me want to cry.





 Vampires of Manhattan (The New Blue Bloods Coven, #1)Vampires of Manhattan by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The only thing I hate is that I waited so long to read it.
First, of course, I had to finish the original series (not that it was entirely necessary but it did help and I was already halfway through) that I enjoyed but did not love as much as I did this book.

I loved seeing characters I've been familiar with for so long in a new setting. Seeing them all grown up in their new lives ten years later. Had I been following them since the first book, Blue Bloods, came out I'd have been 16 and would have partially grown up along with them, (I didn't. I started the series when I was 21.) and I feel like this book is a love letter to those readers who stood by these characters for that long.

The story isn't as complex as in the previous series (where they're trying to stop Lucifer, so complex would be expected there) this is a home grown mystery. Which I'm sure would have led to more amazing complexity and another great adventure had this series been continued. There's something else to hate. 


Reading this week:

Royce Rolls Tempting Sydney (Tempting, #1) Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered For The Men: And The Women Who Love Them

No comments:

Post a Comment