Monday, August 14, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I haven't posted a It's Monday! post since June, and I just realized that's probably because I've only read four books since. I've been going on about a reading slump but looking at it now, I guess it really was true! 
I'd like to go to my go to excuse: my sister's kids. Not because they required my attention but because they are really loud and distracting (have I mentioned I work from home?). By some miracle though I didn't spend too much time with my headphones this year though, progress.
School starts tomorrow. Yay! I hope with one less body in the house I'll be able to focus a bit more. I've yet to figure out if it's just the knowledge that there's someone else around or if it's an energy thing from being in a full house, but I tend to shut down either way.
I had the house to myself a few weeks ago and I got so much work done! It was beautiful. I even read a book!

Books I've read ( I guess this summer?)


Royal Crush (From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess, #3)Royal Crush by Meg Cabot
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

S'wonderful! I loved it so much. I can not remember the last time I actually laughed out loud while reading a book. Or even cried!

It was such a throwback for me; both because of getting to spend time with a Genovian princess (and Grandmère) but also just being a teen. Only Meg Cabot can give me fond memories of being a teenager.
Of course most of those memories were of me reading the original Princess Diaries and writing in my own journal.
I actually finished reading this and pulled out my journal to write in for the first time in months! And I undoubtedly sounded like a teen girl due to both the context and my mind frame (I was definitely channeling my inner Mia, plus there was a guy mentioned).

I will admit I was a little more excited to hear everything going on with Mia, (I did grow up with her, which is where the crying comes in) and I loved the little mentions of the previous series. Including one mention about the previous series!


Olivia is such a delight. What's not to love about her? The voice given to her is simply perfect it feels so authentic and down to earth. She's so level headed; from realizing her crush to dealing with the snobby girl she handles it so well (though I might be comparing her to her maybe a bit over dramatic half-sister Mia). But it's also the voice of a new teen girl so you do get more than a few "pre-teen" moments that young readers will absolutely love and older readers who are long past all that will feel totally nostalgic over.
Who doesn't love a little middle school "drama" in hindsight?


I think my favorite part of this entire series is that; while I got to grow up and go through my teen years (2003-2010) with Mia and The Princess Diaries with this series I get to relive those early years from another perspective and of course having all that long behind me  it's much better enjoyed and appreciated.


For The Men: And The Women Who Love ThemFor The Men: And The Women Who Love Them by Rose Caraway
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is not the first book I've read in the genre or even from the Sexy Librarian, but this felt like a first for me. It kind of felt like an awakening.
And maybe it kind of is. I've been reading erotic anthologies and novels for seven years now but something felt different with this one; it was like a first taste and like a whole new world was introduced to me.

Now, honestly this isn't a genre that I flaunt when I read it (mainly because I'd rather not have to explain it to my family) but it's also not one I hide away from or lie about. It's not a separate shelf where no one else will see them, they're right up there with all my other books that I've enjoyed. (Well, actually this is my first paperback everything else is ebook, but you get my point.) While I'm not flaunting, I'm also not not known for reading it.

I can't give this book entire credit because this has been a built up for me in the past year but it definitely helped push me into the final realization: read what you love and love what you read; who cares what any one else thinks, embrace it!
And as an extent: be who you want to be.


Clearly, I really enjoyed these 25 stories; they all had something to make them different and that kept me turning the page for more. Despite being familiar with more than a few of these authors it did feel like a first time and I kind of love it for that.

It was kind of like falling into a rabbit hole and not wanting to come back until I'd found everything I could about it. It left me wanting so much more.
If I hadn't been a fan before this definitely would have made me one.



The Mark of ZorroThe Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It's amazing that they've managed so many movies out of a somewhat dull premis.




Royce RollsRoyce Rolls by Margaret Stohl
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's been awhile since I've cared to read any Hollywood themed books, nor have I ever cared about reality TV so it did lose me at times but it's pretty funny. Plus I love the mention of places I know and have been to.
Bentley's a pretty great character too, worth the read.



Books I'm reading:
A while ago I joked that there was no way I was going to finish the summer reading challenge and that I should just start all the books I have on the list and see which stuck. I'm not going to say I did not but I kind of almost did.

The Heir (The Selection, #4) Hustler Hunted (Sinners, #2)

Though I'm mainly focusing on The Heir, second miracle this summer I've finally picked one book instead of jumping back and forth for the first time since I don't know when.

And I just realized they all start with the letter H. Weird!

2 comments:

  1. I've struggled with reading slumps lately, too. I think summer might play a big part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer definitely plays a role, though I can never understand why since there isn't much change in my own schedule.

      Delete